Burial Benefits Can Now Be “Pre-Approved”
Veterans with a qualifying discharge, their spouses and dependent children are entitled to VA burial benefits. Currently there are 135 national cemeteries located in 40 states. Use this link to locate the VA national cemeteries https://www.cem.va.gov/cem/cems/listcem.asp.
The Department of Veterans Affairs offers Pre-Need Burial Eligibility
Veterans and their eligible family members are encouraged to plan to use their burial benefits before they need them by having their eligibility determination “pre-approved.” Completing the Pre-Need Burial Eligibility form is fast and simple and can reduce delays and stress on the surviving family members during a difficult time.
To complete the Application for Pre-Need Determination of Eligibility for Burial in A VA National Cemetery go to the Department of Veterans Affair website, click on National Cemetery Administrations then select Pre-Need Determination of Eligibility to complete form VA40-10007, or click here.
Burial in a VA national cemetery includes:
- Opening and closing of the grave or burial or cremated remains or placement in an above-ground vault
- An inscribed headstone or marker
- A grave liner
- Perpetual care of the gravesite
- A burial flag
- A Presidential Memorial Certificate
- Flower arrangement transportation from the committal service shelter to the gravesite
- Gravesites in a VA national cemetery cannot be reserved.
- Arlington Cemetery is maintained by the Department of the Army and not the Veterans Affairs Cemetery Administration. Contact Arlington Cemetery at (703) 607-8585 or http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/ for burial questions.
Burial in a private cemetery includes:
- A burial flag
- A government headstone, marker or medallion
- Survivors may be entitled to a reimbursement for burial cost for eligible Veterans.
Who Is Eligible For Veterans Burial Benefits
To find out if you or a loved one is eligible see the complete list at The Department of Veterans Affairs > National Cemetery Administration > Burial Benefits > Eligibility or click here.